User Control Panel
Search iVirtua
Advanced/Tag Search...
Search Users...
What is iVirtua Exclusive Community?
  • An exclusive gaming industry community targeted to, and designed for Professionals, Businesses and Students in the sectors and industries of Gaming, New Media and the Web, all closely related with it's Business and Industry.
  • A Rich content driven service including articles, contributed discussion, news, reviews, networking, downloads, and debate.
  • We strive to cater for cultural influencers, technology decision makers, early adopters and business leaders in the gaming industry.
  • A medium to share your or contribute your ideas, experiences, questions and point of view or network with other colleagues here at iVirtua Community.
Guest's Communication
Live Chat
Teamspeak (VOIP) Audio Conference
Private Messages
Check your Private Messages
Themes
Choose an iVirtua Community theme to reflect your interests...
Business Theme
India/Arabic Theme

Gaming Theme
iVirtua Recommends
Fly Emirates Advertising
Microsoft shows off JPEG rival!
Digg This Digg Topic Tag it on del.icio.us Tag topic on On del.icio.us Technorati Search Technorati Search Post to Slashdot Post to Slashdot
You are currently in Film, Photography, Digital Animation, Broadcasting / Production

Does the world need another photo compression format?
No, JPEG works just fine. Why another format?
68%
 68% 13
Yes, e-mail and Web pages need smaller files, and I love Microsoft.
15%
 15% 3
Maybe, but I'm concerned about it being a Microsoft product.
15%
 15% 3
Voted : 0
Total Votes : 19
This poll does not expire

Tue Jun 06, 2006 1:29 pm Reply and quote this post
If it is up to Microsoft, the omnipresent JPEG image format will be replaced by Windows Media Photo.

The software maker detailed the new image format Wednesday at the Windows Hardware Engineering Conference here. Windows Media Photo will be supported in Windows Vista and also be made available for Windows XP, Bill Crow, program manager for Windows Media Photo, said in a presentation.

One of the biggest reasons people upgrade their PCs is digital photos," Crow said, noting that Microsoft has been in contact with printer makers, digital camera companies and other unnamed industry partners while working on Windows Media Photo. Microsoft touts managing "digital memories" as one of the key attributes of XP successor Vista.

In his presentation, Crow showed an image with 24:1 compression that visibly contained more detail in the Windows Media Photo format than the JPEG and JPEG 2000 formats compressed at the same level.

Still, the image in the Microsoft format was somewhat distorted because of the high compression level. Typically digital cameras today use 6:1 compression, Crow said. Windows Media Photo should offer better pictures at double that level, he said. "We can do it in half the size of a JPEG file."

From: http://news.com.com/Microsoft+shows+o...25_3-6076650.html

Im more interested in JPEG2, as it is more supported, and all smaller digital cameras use them. I just think a new format would be annoying to say the least, I think JPEGS should just be developed further.
I bet the new Microsoft Programs, and Vista (Like the new Frontpage, Microsoft Expression) and Office, will have better support for the WMP file than the JPEGS.

Contributed by Editorial Team, Executive Management Team
372659 iVirtua Loyalty Points • View ProfileSend Private MessageBack to Top

Tue Jun 06, 2006 7:45 pm Reply and quote this post
It's quite typical of Microsoft to bully about, or buy over, competitors. I reckon too that they will offer more support for the WMP - which is a really cheap thing to do - it's so typically Microsoft. I agree that JPEG should just be developed further - not replaced!
Contributed by Andy, Editorial, Marketing & Services Team
19277 iVirtua Loyalty Points • View ProfileSend Private MessageBack to Top

Tue Jun 06, 2006 9:58 pm Reply and quote this post
WMA should replace mp3, it failed,
WMP shall replace jpeg, it will fail.

Contributed by Jakob, Executive Management Team
29093 iVirtua Loyalty Points • View ProfileSend Private MessageBack to Top

Wed Jun 07, 2006 3:04 am Reply and quote this post
Mp3's are the most widely used audio format, iPods, Mp3 Players, iTunes, and WMA really only is supported by some Mp3 players for a bit of flexibility.

WMP wont replace the JPEG Either, its used by every digital camera around, and I don't think theres a website out there withouth them (or PNG's)
http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/xps/wmphoto.mspx    Nah.
http://www.jpeg.org/ from the official site of the Joint Photographic Experts Group, JPEG, and Joint Bi-level Image experts Group, JBIG.   Thats the future
Look at the difference in sites  
http://www.jpeg.org/jpeg2000/index.html JPEG 2 (2000)

JPEG 2000 is a new image coding system that uses state-of-the-art compression techniques based on wavelet technology. Its architecture should lend itself to a wide range of uses from portable digital cameras through to advanced pre-press, medical imaging and other key sectors.

Application areas for JPEG include
Internet
Digital Photography
Medical Imaging
Wireless imaging
Document imaging
Pre-Press
Remote sensing and GIS
Cultural Heritage
Scientific and Industrial
Digital Cinema
Image archives and databases
Surveillance
Printing and scanning
Facsimile
(http://www.jpeg.org/apps/index.html)

Application areas for WMP Include.
Nothing

Wed Jun 07, 2006 10:08 am Reply and quote this post
silly old microsoft, they just dont get it: Stick to making operating systems, even then they still get it wrong
Contributed by applet1, Guest
510 iVirtua Loyalty Points • • • Back to Top

Wed Jun 07, 2006 2:24 pm Reply and quote this post
There are just unoriginal, and try to match competition, as with IE7, and Vista, by Copying competition (especially the Mac), instead of being creative and inovvative, they add the odd negligable feature here and there, but remember this?

Quote:
Apple claimed the "look and feel" of the Macintosh operating system, taken as a whole, was protected by copyright, and that each individual element of the interface (such as the existence of windows on the screen, the fact that they are rectangular, the fact that they are resizable, the fact that they overlap, and the fact that they have title bars) was not as important as all these elements taken together. After long argument, the judge insisted on an analysis of specific GUI elements that Apple claimed were infringements. Apple came up with a list of 189 GUI elements; the judge decided that 179 of these elements had been licensed to Microsoft in the Windows 1.0 agreement, and most of the remaining 10 elements were not copyrightable—either they were unoriginal to Apple, or they were the only possible way of expressing a particular idea.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_v._Microsoft

Mon Jun 19, 2006 3:36 pm Reply and quote this post
It's all about who gets the Patent first. It doesn't even matter if you invented / made it.

This actually reminds me of following:

this
this

Quote:
Instead of focusing on some real problems, now there is word that Microsoft is trying to patent smilies, or the emoticons. This has Mark Taylor, executive director of the Open Source Consortium in a tizzy. “We now appear to be living in a world where even the most laughable paranoid fantasies about commercially controlling simple social concepts are being outdone in the real world by well-funded armies of lawyers on behalf of some of the most powerful companies on the planet. Emoticons are a form of language, and a precedent allowing patenting of language constructs is very dangerous indeed.” I have a suggestion for Microsoft: you get this patent, if you make every single Microsoft user smile for one full day!

Contributed by eviL<3, iVirtua Members
256 iVirtua Loyalty Points • View ProfileSend Private MessageBack to Top

Sun Jul 02, 2006 7:34 pm Reply and quote this post
It doesn't come with Vista Beta 2 yet, just checked!

Mon Jul 03, 2006 1:43 pm Reply and quote this post
when will it come out then???
Contributed by Jay Taylor, Executive Management Team
107150 iVirtua Loyalty Points • View ProfileSend Private MessageBack to Top

Wed Jul 19, 2006 5:17 pm Reply and quote this post
Linux wrote:
when will it come out then???

Sam??

Wed Jul 19, 2006 7:23 pm Reply and quote this post
WMP...I dunno.
I might not fail...remember it works with Vista
if Vista wins...then it won't fail

Remember PNG? I like PNG, because you can easily use pictures with simple backgrounds

Contributed by xino, iVirtua Leading Contributor
3528 iVirtua Loyalty Points • View ProfileSend Private MessageBack to Top

Wed Jul 26, 2006 9:30 am Reply and quote this post
I prefer PNG over Jpeg actually, cause PNG doesn't mess up the picture as much as  Jpeg, yet it ain't much bigger

Mon Aug 21, 2006 6:16 pm Reply and quote this post
If WMP files are much smaller in size and the quality is the same as JPEG's, I will definetely switch to WMP..
Contributed by ibnuasad, iVirtua Active Member
272 iVirtua Loyalty Points • View ProfileSend Private MessageBack to Top

Mon Aug 21, 2006 6:24 pm Reply and quote this post
JPEG2 will probably take off, I cant see a microsoft attempt take off to well, PNG is the best for logos and graphics, and transparency, I use PNG alot over GIF, but JPEG is still industry standard... and I my bet is that this new format wont be rendered well if at all in any browser except IE... meaning alot of sites, if any will make a switch; and then we come to macs....  

Tue Sep 26, 2006 9:50 am Reply and quote this post
PNG is the future. Especially me that I use Fireworks a lot and thats the standard. Yeah, its a bit big but thats what you get for High Quality Pictures
Contributed by Jose Castillo, Editorial, Marketing & Services Team
110158 iVirtua Loyalty Points • View ProfileSend Private MessageBack to Top

Related Articles

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next

iVirtua Latest
Latest Discussion

Discuss...
Latest Articles and Reviews

Latest Downloads
Subscribe to the iVirtua Community RSS Feed
Use RSS and get automatically notified of new content and contributions on the iVirtua Community.

Tag Cloud
access amd announced applications author based beta building business card case company content cool core course cpu create data deal dec demo design desktop developers development digital download drive email feature features file files firefox flash free future gaming google graphics hardware help industry information intel internet iphone ipod jan launch linux lol love mac market media memory million mobile money movie music net nintendo nov nvidia oct office official online patch performance playing power price product program ps3 pst publish ram release released report rss sales screen search security sep server show size software sony source speed support technology thu tue update video vista war web website wii windows work working works xbox 360 2006 2007 2008

© 2006 - 2008 iVirtua Community (UK), Part of iVirtua Media Group, London (UK). Tel: 020 8144 7222

Terms of Service and Community RulesAdvertise or Affiliate with iVirtuaRSSPress Information and Media CoverageiVirtua Version 4PrivacyContact